Good Monday morning!
Since I'm having a little bit of trouble pulling my thoughts together today thanks to a sinus headache and a late night at small group last night, I thought I'd just resort to a Monday Morning list.
It works for me.
1. This weekend I went to not one but TWO baby showers. I honestly can't tell you when I last went to a baby shower, so this was unusual. But they were fun. And interesting! My, how times have changed! Seems like these days everything is organic this and all-natural that.
One of the items on the first mom's gift list (it was the gift I gave her!) was one of those liners that people put in shopping carts to protect the baby from germs. At least that's what I'm guessing it's for. I had to kind of laugh to myself about that because when my kids were old enough to sit up in the shopping cart, the first thing they'd do was start gnawing on the handle, slobbering all over the place as they gleefully chewed and spit. It completely grossed me out, but there was nothing like these fancy covers back then to protect my kids from the crud on the shopping cart handle. I'm hoping it built up their immune system. At least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
2. The second shower was for some friends who just adopted twin boys from Ethiopia. Can I just tell you that those were about the cutest 10-month-olds I've ever seen? I immediately grabbed one of the boys as I walked in the door and barely put him down the entire time I was there. What a honey! The dad to these boys quickly pointed out that there are 3 million orphans in Ethiopia waiting to be adopted. THREE MILLION! That absolutely blew my mind. Three million children without parents. . . .
Any takers out there?
3. Speaking of showers . . . A couple of weeks ago I went to a wedding shower for the daughter of a friend of mine. I was laughing with a friend about how we seem to be entering a new phase of life in which we are the friends of the parents instead of the bride or groom. This friend agreed, and then proceeded to tell me that she and her husband went to 10 weddings this summer. TEN! All friends of her daughter who just graduated from college.
Definitely a new season of life.
4. And speaking of new seasons of life. Kate submitted her first college application last night. To say it feels a little strange to me would be an understatement.
5. And speaking of seasons again . . . I think we're skipping fall and heading straight into winter. It was about 40 degrees when we woke up this morning. Brrrr.
But what's better in the fall/winter than pumpkin muffins? Did you think I forgot? No sirree! I whipped up a batch of Bridget's Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins yesterday and they were a hit. Definitely a recipe worth keeping and making often.
The only problem was a mistake I made. I put too many chocolate chips in the batter. Completely out of habit I just opened the package (I use mini chocolate chips because my family likes the way the chocolate spreads throughout the cookies or, in this case, muffins) and dumped them in. And then I realized I was only supposed to put in 1/2 cup. Oops! I can't believe I'm even saying this, but less is more when it comes to putting chocolate in pumpkin muffins. Next time I'll read the recipe more closely.
Alright, now it's time to move along with my day. But first I'd like to know . . . how was your weekend??