I’m sitting here wanting to write. Wanting to write something profound, even. The thoughts are there, but the writing muscle has not been exercised in a while, so instead of profound, I thought I’d share with you a little bit of my life from the past couple of weeks.
Let’s call it the Top Ten Things I’ve Been Doing Besides Blogging.
Because that pretty much sums up my life.
(It’s a good thing I don’t get paid to blog.)
10. Hockey. Not playing--goodness that would be frightening!--just watching. Friday night AND Sunday night. It’s the time of year when we watch a LOT of hockey, which is nice because I can watch hockey and not really watch hockey at the same time. Know what I mean? Plus I can put on my sweats, start a fire in the fireplace, and get cozy with some cute, fast skaters.
9. Reading magazines. I get at least three magazine subscriptions, but it seems like every month when the magazines come in the mail I throw them on the coffee table where they pile up like the leaves this time of year. So on Friday night while I was doing #10 and avoiding #8, I grabbed a bunch of magazines to leaf through. I looked up when the Blackhawks scored, don’t worry.
8. Grading papers. The bane of my existence right now. But I finally finished a batch over the weekend, handed back yesterday, and today I feel like a free woman. Ahhhhhh.
Until next time.
7. Feeding people. Over Halloween weekend I had two parties in three days, so I fed a lot of people. It was crazy, but so much fun. (I love having the gift of hospitality!) And then there’s the every-night dinners I still have to make, so the cooking continues, kind of. Why do these people always want to eat?
6. Walking Thunder. We’ve had a beautiful fall, so walks with You-Know-Who haven’t been that bad. I especially love walking through the park nearby on gorgeous autumn days.
5. Going to church. Lately I can’t wait to get to church on Sunday, because our pastor is doing a sermon series on Ecclesiastes called, “God’s Answer to Atheism.” It’s fascinating and really, really good. You can listen here if you’re interested.
4. Thinking about next summer. I don’t think I’ve mentioned this yet, but I was asked to be a leader on a missions trip with a group of high school students next summer. Now don’t laugh when I tell you where I’m going, just understand that the Lord is clearly calling me to serve Him in Europe because three years ago, you might recall, we took a missions trip to Switzerland. This summer I’ll be headed just a little further south. *wink wink*
3. Visiting doctors. And not just for the heck of it. Over the past three weeks we’ve had bronchitis, ear infections, and headaches that needed extra attention. So thankful for modern medicine.
2. Not reading. Well, except for those annoying #8s. I have not read a book since last summer, which is sad. And depressing. And now with these colder, wetter days I really feel like I want to curl up with a good book. Any suggestions? What’s the best book you’ve read lately?
1. Working. I know, I know, it’s a part-time gig, but it feels like so much more. This semester has been filled pretty much every day with lesson planning, paper grading, meeting with students, and trying to stay ahead. Teaching two classes should NOT consume me the way it has, but I guess it’s inevitable if I really want to do a good job. And I do . . . want to do a great job.
But here’s the wonderful news. Next semester I’m only teaching one class, my lessons will already be planned, and my mornings will be free. I think I’ll feel like a whole new woman who might even be able to get to the gym every once in a while.
And that’s another thing I haven’t been doing.
The list goes on. . . .
So how about you? What have you been up to lately? I’d really like to know.