Saturday, June 8, 2013

The Great Townhouse Project of 2013 - Week 1

So on Monday I introduced you all to pretty much the entire content of my brain right now: The Great Townhouse Project of 2013. It has consumed me. Sadly, it's the last thing I think about when I close my eyes at night and the first thing that's on my mind when I wake up in the morning.

I'm obsessed.

But with reason: I'm on a timeline. This thing HAS to be done by July 18 when I fly out of the country for two weeks.

Or maybe by August 12 when our first renter arrives.


What I mean is that my thoughts have been completely consumed by this project. As I've said here before, I'm not a great multitasker. When I'm teaching, that's pretty much all I can concentrate on. When I'm writing, that's all I can do (much to the dismay of my family who likes to eat). When I'm renovating a townhouse, it's all I can think about.

Sad, I know.

(When I shared this revelation with B this morning, bless his heart, he turned it into a Good Thing by telling me that by being focused it ensures that the job will get finished. Isn't he sweet?)

(Or deluded?)

Anyway, in order to make myself feel better about what feels like a seriously huge mistake right now, I thought I'd track my progress here. Hope you don't mind.

The thing is, I just finished week 3, but rather than making this into a really long post, I think I'll just go ahead and write three separate posts, one for each week.

So, let's travel back in time, shall we? To mid-May when the keys to the townhouse were actually handed to me. And I cried huge, bitter, very-afraid-of-what-I've-gotten-myself-into tears.

Remember this?

Well, Week 1 mainly involved getting that ugly (and, may I add, greasy) shelf off the wall. Surprisingly (or not), it didn't take much to get it down.

The wallpaper, however, was another story. I think they must have used cement to stick those stupid apples up there!

Let's just say it took a while.

Week 1 mainly involved my getting my bearings, trying not to gag, and, of course, scraping wallpaper.

Oh, and being afraid. Very afraid.

We also removed every nail and screw from the walls. We filled holes. We sanded.

We took down the most beat-up blinds I've ever seen.

 And removed every switchplate from every electrical outlet in the house.

Our thought is that the simple change of fresh, white switchplates will make everything seem new.

One can only hope.

I only had a couple of days to work during Week 1 because of our little 1,800 mile jaunt to Dallas for Memorial Day weekend.

Up next . . . Week 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment